CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Oh so Westernized, but oh so Different.

Here's a list of stuff I find quite intriguing in the Korean culture, but is completely exempt from ours. Opposing Korean/American Customs.

1. Asian girls think that to be beautiful, they need to be pail. They wear white makeup on their faces. In America, girls believe being tan is beautiful... so we go tanning.

2. It rains so much here that when you go into each store or home, there is a bucket for you umbrella. Some places even have a bag for you to stick your umbrella in and you can carry it around with you.

3. Toilets. Some of the toilets here are little holes in the ground. Some are normal, like we have in America. And If you go to special places, you can even find a toilet with a remote control that allows you to heat up the toilet seat... It's quite odd because it feels like the toilet was just in use by somebody else, and they must've been sitting there for quite a long time.

4. When beckoning somebody to approach you, Koreans instead of moving their fingers with their palms facing up, they put their palm down and paw their hand, like a dog would when shaking.

5. Matching Couples. Seems like everywhere I go, the couples match. They wear the same clothes. Once I saw a couple that was matching head to toe. They even sell shirts here with graphics on them that go together when the couple stands side by side.

6. When girls go out together, like a night out on the town, they hold hands and link arms. I've seen a few guys do this too.

7. Shoe and Clothing Sizes. I can't find any pants my size. Nor can do they even make shoes my size. I wear a 9 and the largest size I can find in Korea is an 8. This makes me curious as to where the overweight people get their clothes?

0 comments: